Monday, January 5, 2009

Stripping to Save $$$$$$





I just recently moved into a 60 year old house a couple of weeks ago and have been doing several repairs, additions, modifications, etc. With this cold weather we have been running the heater quite a bit (it seems constant). The house stays warm, but every time I walked near an exterior door I could literally feel the cold air blowing under, and through the cracks of the door. This was starting to get on my nerves because all I could see was dollar signs as my heater kept kicking on $$$$$. So once I realized this was costing me money I went to Home Depot and bought 2 door shoes which attach to the bottom of the door to form a seal at the threshold, and 2 rolls of self sticking weather strip. Once I got home it took me about 10 minutes to install everything on two exterior doors and cost me approximately $30.00. I know for a fact it has helped because the heater (honestly) is not kicking on as much, and my laundry room, (where the second exterior door is located) was always the coldest room in the house, now stays relatively close to the temperature of the rest of the house. Here's a link to give you an idea of what I installed.

1 comment:

Missy said...

Great blog Zach! Thanks for the awesome stripping advice!