Thursday, September 4, 2008

What are you willing to give up?


So, I'm searching the internet looking for interesting news and such when I come across an article from Newsweek.com titled The Tradeoffs of Going Green. It's a fairly decent article mentioning what a wealthy couple gave up to 'Go Green'.

It really made me start thinking about what I would give up? Michael Hoffman, this wealthy coal-fired power plant (click here to see an example of how a coal-fired power plant operates) owner, sold his company to help 'Go Green'. I can't even shorten my showers. I do own an Oxygenic's showerhead (the best high efficiency showerhead on the market, I might add ;~) ), but how much more water could I really be saving if I shortened my showers?

Of course the story isn't just about what this couple gave up. It is about what we would all have to give up or trade to 'Go Green'. It will be tough for all of us if we really want to go the distance. I would rather fight the good fight, then wake up one day and the world I know is no more...

3 comments:

Leanne said...

I really like your blog Michelle, it made me think about what I could go without and hopefully it will make others think that as well.

Nola said...

The interesting thing about "going green" is that it's all the simple, small things that can add up to making a difference. Before I shop, I try to determine if what I'm looking for is a need or a want. If I don't really need it, I'll usually skip it!

Kristen said...

I agree. I've been trying to save also. Last week I bought re-usable grocery bags from Whole Foods to use when shopping. Sort of a pain to lug around, but a small price to pay for the lasting benefits.