Thursday, September 25, 2008

Plant a Plant: It might save your life.


I came across this article today about house plants and how they can reverse or calm the effects of the VOCs in our homes, rendering our environments less toxic. I found it to be very interesting. I knew plants did invaluable amounts of good, but this I'm not sure I was aware of. It turns out they are “botanical combatants” for each major toxin found in our home. Good Magazine put out a "plants for your health chart" detailing who battles what. Here are just a few: Chrysanthemums will detox the effects of house cleaners, plastics and inks. Peace Lilies will detox the effects of detergents and paints. Spider plants will detox clothes. English Ivy will detox smoke. The list goes on and on.

If you want to read more about this, click here.


If you want to view the plant chart from Good Magazine, click here.

2 comments:

Kristen said...

Ive always wanted to bring more plants into my home, and this is a good motivation. I don't have much of a green thumb and have always been afraid of them dying! But I'll take the chance.

Leanne said...

I would have to agree with Kristen. I wish I had more of a green thumb, especially after reading your post.