Friday, September 19, 2008

Do You Bamboo?


While I was at the airport in Philadelphia this past week, I went into one of their many stores to browse around. One of the displays set up had some super cute t-shirts. After taking a closer look, turns out that the shirts were made of 70% bamboo and 30% cotton. I had never seen clothing made of bamboo before. I decided not to buy a t-shirt at the time, but I did buy a nifty bamboo pen (that I love!)

I decided to do some research about bamboo and in what ways it can be utilized. Turns out that using bamboo as a resource is huge right now. It is an extremely rapid growing plant, in some cases growing 3 to 4 feet per day. It also does not need a lot of water to grow (awesome for conservation!) Bamboo has also been reported to have anti-bacterial and deodorizing properties, which means that you might not have to wash the clothes so often. Another plus for water conservation!!

In my search for bamboo products, I came across an article on natural-environment.com about a cell phone made up of bamboo and corn! Only the case is made of bamboo and corn, but who cares! That is so cool!! They say that when you are done using the phone, you just toss the cover into compost and soon a bamboo shoot will be coming out of the ground! Another really cool energy conservation aspect of the phone is that it uses a hand powered charger. Just crank it up and you’re good to go!

I am excited about these new bamboo products, especially the clothing. I can honestly that I will probably be buying a bamboo t-shirt in the near future.


photo by Frederic Poirot

1 comment:

Leanne said...

I can't believe that they can make clothes out of bamboo. Thanks for posting this Ashley it is very interesting.