Monday, August 18, 2008

Sun Exposure: A Scary Thought

So, I have 20 days until I leave for my cruise to the Caribbean. I am slightly nervous about the sun exposure, because to be honest... my legs have not seen the sun in a good three or four years. How scary is that?!? I know that I am going to need an exceptionally awesome sunscreen, but which one is going to protect my sensitive skin the most from harmful UV rays? I came across a website called SkinDeep, which is run by the Environmental Networking Group. On their site, I came across a section on sunscreen. It has a list of the top 10 best sunscreens, along with field that you can search for certain brand names. Most of the names on the top 10, I did not recognize. I decided to do a search for some of the more popular name brands that are available in local drug stores (i.e. Banana Boat). I was shocked to see that the lowest risk of hazard score was a 3. The sad part is that only 6 of their 41 products have the 3 ranking. The majority of them have a ranking of 7, which is considered to be a high hazard risk.

I even decided to check out my daily moisturizer that has SPF 15 protection in it. I was amazed to see a full ranking on the specific moisturizer with UVA and UVB ratings. It had listings of what ingredients in the product could be harmful and why. It was awesome to find all this information out! I will definitely be using that site in the future to find out which products are going to protect my skin the best. I personally want as little age spots and skin cancer as possible. I know our grandparents and even our parents generation could not really avoid the sun exposure because there was little education available to them and they just did not know better. In these times, we have so much knowledge about harmful things that we are exposed to daily, in order to protect ourselves. So get out there and buy some SUNSCREEN!

No comments: