Tuesday, July 8, 2008

Hypermiling

This is a new term for me!

Hypermilers are drivers who exceed the United States EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) estimated fuel efficiency on their vehicles by modifying their driving habits.

This last weekend I happen use some of these techniques myself on the way back from Tahoe without even knowing it. The one habit that seems to save money on gas and speeding tickets is the cruise control method. I was able to hit cruise control on east bound Hwy 80 in Sacramento all the way to Hwy 99 in Stockton.....that is until someone cut me off.

It took me 2 hours and 45 minutes to drive from North Shore Lake Tahoe to Modesto going 70 mph almost the entire way. So not only was I stopping myself from getting a speeding ticket (which was my first intention) I was saving fuel and money. The exact same trip has taken me three or more hours and I was proud to say I did it in less time while maintaining only 5 mph above the speed limit. (Traffic has a huge influence on this timing, but it's at least possible.)

Some would call my Yukon a gas guzzling vehicle, but if I can make it a habit to start using some of the Hypermiler's techniques I won't need to trade my vehicle in for a more efficient model. (-:

Below are some more sources to help you become a hypermiler yourself!

Article:
KCRA 3 News

Website:
www.hypermiling.com

Tips:
*
Roll up your windows.
*Recirculate your cold air from the AC and turn your AC off.
*Hit cruise control as much as possible.
*Accelerate slowly.



2 comments:

Anna said...

That's a great post, thank you for sharing how you have been able to use hypermiling to save gas as well as increase safety (and not get a ticket). It's great to see some true stories out there!

Regarding the AC - I read that under 40 mph it is better to open windows and turn the AC off, but above 40 mph the wind drag uses more gas than the AC would.

Run Your Car On Water said...

Thanks for guiding about Hypermiler's techniques.